Subject: bug#19989: 25.0.50; Build instructions on Windows

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 11:04:46 +0100

>> The problem is that most users are trying to be clever.  At least I did
 >> and AFAICT Ilya did too.
 >
 > Yes — the first 8 times.  The last try was by following the
 > instructions literally (as close as I can after 9 hours of
 > unsuccessful trying).
 >
 >>   That's of no help.  What's really needed is a
 >> stubborn, dense person who complains immediately when something doesn't
 >> work out as written in INSTALL.
 >
 > This is exactly what I do.

You didn't.  Otherwise, you would have started right away "by following
the instructions literally".  And an important guideline is: Never do
anything extraneous when following INSTALL instructions.  Unfortunately,
installers likes those for mingw/msys offer too many pitfalls in this
area.  Especially when resolving dependencies.

martin