Subject: Re: bug#19972: Font size change doesn't update (window-total-width)

From: "Jan D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 18:42:56 +0100

Hi.

Eli Zaretskii skrev den 2015-03-02 14:27:
>> From: Steve Purcell <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 07:57:26 +0000
>>
>> - Consider the case of full-screen frames, which never change in pixel size.
>
> They do for me.  See the previous messages.
>
>> So there really shouldn’t be any assumption that the frame size will necessarily change when the font changes.
>
> In this case, Emacs itself changes the frame size, so it can expect it
> to change.

In X you can never be sure.  You can request a frame change but it can 
be denied.  For example, fullscreen or tiling window manager.  There 
should be no assumption that what Emacs request w.r.t. frame size 
actually occurs.

>
> I think there's some X event due to the window manager that then
> resizes the frame back, but we either don't react to it, or somehow
> interpret it incorrectly.

No, the window manager denies the original frame resize.  There is no 
"resizing back".

	Jan D.