Subject: bug#19972: Font size change doesn't update (window-total-width)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 18:11:02 +0200

> From: "Jan D." <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 21:19:14 +0100
> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>,
>  "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> 
> > I meant where/how does Emacs know that its request to resize was
> > denied?
> 
> When an X window is resized, it gets a ConfigureNotify event.  When the resize is denied, no event arrives.  That is why Emacs on X only considers ConfigureNotify as resizes.  If lisp code tries to resize, we make the request, but nothing is updated until we get a ConfigureNotify.

OK, thanks.

But I don't see anything like that on MS-Windows: we do have a call to
change_frame_size when we receive a WM_SIZE message, but running the
recipe in this thread doesn't cause WM_SIZE to be received, and the
call to change_frame_size, if it is done, comes via
internal-set-lisp-face-attribute and modify-frame-parameters,
i.e. directly from Lisp.  (When the frame is maximized,
change_frame_size is not called at all.)

Martin, can you tell what is the equivalent of the above X processing
on MS-Windows?  Does Emacs implement a similar logic internally?