Subject: bug#19971: 25.0.50; Emacs segfaults randomly

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:16:28 +0100

Occasionaly C-x 5 2 or while playing chess emacs segfaults since some
weeks back. Haven't found a recipe to reproduce it. Here the gdb
backtrace:

(gdb) bt 30
#0  0x00007fe7581deb5b in raise (sig=sig@entry=11)
    at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/pt-raise.c:37
#1  0x00000000004e8034 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=sig@entry=11, 
    backtrace_limit=backtrace_limit@entry=40) at emacs.c:378
#2  0x00000000004ff50e in handle_fatal_signal (sig=sig@entry=11)
    at sysdep.c:1604
#3  0x00000000004ff733 in deliver_thread_signal (sig=sig@entry=11, 
    handler=0x4ff500 <handle_fatal_signal>) at sysdep.c:1578
#4  0x00000000004ff7bf in deliver_fatal_thread_signal (sig=11)
    at sysdep.c:1616
#5  handle_sigsegv (sig=11, siginfo=<optimized out>, arg=<optimized out>)
    at sysdep.c:1667
#6  <signal handler called>
#7  cache_image (f=0x4ca3830, img=0x7c47f20) at image.c:1775
#8  lookup_image (f=f@entry=0x4ca3830, spec=spec@entry=79920147)
    at image.c:1686
#9  0x00000000005c3f70 in Fimage_size (spec=79920147, pixels=0, 
    frame=<optimized out>) at image.c:864
#10 0x0000000000559037 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0xb26050 <Simage_size>)
    at eval.c:2725
#11 0x000000000058d993 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=50602357, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=args_template@entry=0, nargs=nargs@entry=0, 
    args=<optimized out>, args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:919
#12 0x0000000000558aa2 in funcall_lambda (fun=50602421, nargs=1, 
    arg_vector=0x7fff8254f5a8) at eval.c:2951
#13 0x0000000000558e63 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, args=0x30421b0) at eval.c:2779
#14 0x000000000058d993 in exec_byte_code (bytestr=<optimized out>, 
    vector=50602357, maxdepth=<optimized out>, 
    args_template=args_template@entry=0, nargs=nargs@entry=0, 
    args=<optimized out>, args@entry=0x0) at bytecode.c:919
#15 0x0000000000558aa2 in funcall_lambda (fun=fun@entry=50602421, 
    nargs=nargs@entry=1, arg_vector=arg_vector@entry=0x7fff8254f700)
    at eval.c:2951
#16 0x0000000000558028 in apply_lambda (fun=50602421, args=<optimized out>, 
    count=24) at eval.c:2826
#17 0x0000000000558386 in eval_sub (form=form@entry=49986723) at eval.c:2256
#18 0x0000000000557ff2 in apply_lambda (fun=50782925, args=<optimized out>, 
    count=23) at eval.c:2818
#19 0x0000000000558386 in eval_sub (form=<optimized out>) at eval.c:2256
#20 0x00000000005586d4 in eval_sub (form=<optimized out>) at eval.c:2147
#21 0x00000000005588bd in Fprogn (body=49986435) at eval.c:445
#22 0x000000000055b271 in FletX (args=49987155) at eval.c:896
#23 0x0000000000558533 in eval_sub (form=form@entry=50238211) at eval.c:2131
#24 0x000000000055ba21 in Feval (form=50238211, lexical=<optimized out>)
    at eval.c:1996
#25 0x0000000000559047 in Ffuncall (nargs=1, nargs@entry=2, 
    args=0xb21448 <Seval>) at eval.c:2721
#26 0x0000000000557a81 in internal_condition_case_n (
    bfun=0x558c60 <Ffuncall>, nargs=nargs@entry=2, 
    args=args@entry=0x7fff8254fcd0, handlers=handlers@entry=45264, 
    hfun=hfun@entry=0x4386e0 <safe_eval_handler>) at eval.c:1430
#27 0x0000000000429d96 in safe__call (inhibit_quit=<optimized out>, 
    nargs=nargs@entry=2, func=<optimized out>, ap=ap@entry=0x7fff8254fd50)
    at xdisp.c:2494
#28 0x0000000000429ee0 in safe__call1 (inhibit_quit=<optimized out>, 
    fn=<optimized out>) at xdisp.c:2531
#29 0x0000000000441c8b in safe__eval (sexpr=<optimized out>, 
    inhibit_quit=<optimized out>) at xdisp.c:2545
(More stack frames follow...)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2)
 of 2015-02-28 on DE1-JTOCANCIPA-Ubuntu
Repository revision: 0537943561a37b54467bec19d1b8afbeba8e1e58
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11600000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.10

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-anzu-mode: t
  anzu-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
.newsrc-dribble has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Wrote /home/jtocancipa/.emacs.desktop.lock
Desktop: 2 frames, 2 buffers restored.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Error during redisplay: (eval (let* ((active (powerline-selected-window-active)) (mode-line (if active (quote mode-line) (quote mode-line-inactive))) (face1 (if active (quote powerline-active1) (quote powerline-inactive1))) (face2 (if active (quote powerline-active2) (quote powerline-inactive2))) (separator-left (intern (format "powerline-%s-%s" powerline-default-separator (car powerline-default-separator-dir)))) (separator-right (intern (format "powerline-%s-%s" powerline-default-separator (cdr powerline-default-separator-dir)))) (lhs (list (powerline-raw "%*" nil (quote l)) (powerline-buffer-size nil (quote l)) (powerline-raw mode-line-mule-info nil (quote l)) (powerline-buffer-id nil (quote l)) (when (and (boundp (quote which-func-mode)) which-func-mode) (powerline-raw which-func-format nil (quote l))) (powerline-raw " ") (funcall separator-left mode-line face1) (when (boundp (quote erc-modified-channels-object)) (powerline-raw erc-modified-channels-object face1 (quote l))) (powerline-major-mode face1 (quote l)) (powerline-process face1) (powerline-minor-modes face1 (quote l)) (powerline-narrow face1 (quote l)) (powerline-raw " " face1) (funcall separator-left face1 face2) (powerline-vc face2 (quote r)))) (rhs (list (powerline-raw global-mode-string face2 (quote r)) (funcall separator-right face2 face1) (powerline-raw "%4l" face1 (quote l)) (powerline-raw ":" face1 (quote l)) (powerline-raw "%3c" face1 (quote r)) (funcall separator-right face1 mode-line) (powerline-raw " ") (powerline-raw "%6p" nil (quote r)) (powerline-hud face2 face1)))) (concat (powerline-render lhs) (powerline-fill face2 (powerline-width rhs)) (powerline-render rhs)))) signaled (wrong-type-argument hash-table-p "Unprintable entity") [4 times]
ESC <mouse-1> is undefined
Error during redisplay: (eval (let* ((active (powerline-selected-window-active)) (mode-line (if active (quote mode-line) (quote mode-line-inactive))) (face1 (if active (quote powerline-active1) (quote powerline-inactive1))) (face2 (if active (quote powerline-active2) (quote powerline-inactive2))) (separator-left (intern (format "powerline-%s-%s" powerline-default-separator (car powerline-default-separator-dir)))) (separator-right (intern (format "powerline-%s-%s" powerline-default-separator (cdr powerline-default-separator-dir)))) (lhs (list (powerline-raw "%*" nil (quote l)) (powerline-buffer-size nil (quote l)) (powerline-raw mode-line-mule-info nil (quote l)) (powerline-buffer-id nil (quote l)) (when (and (boundp (quote which-func-mode)) which-func-mode) (powerline-raw which-func-format nil (quote l))) (powerline-raw " ") (funcall separator-left mode-line face1) (when (boundp (quote erc-modified-channels-object)) (powerline-raw erc-modified-channels-object face1 (quote l))) (powerline-major-mode face1 (quote l)) (powerline-process face1) (powerline-minor-modes face1 (quote l)) (powerline-narrow face1 (quote l)) (powerline-raw " " face1) (funcall separator-left face1 face2) (powerline-vc face2 (quote r)))) (rhs (list (powerline-raw global-mode-string face2 (quote r)) (funcall separator-right face2 face1) (powerline-raw "%4l" face1 (quote l)) (powerline-raw ":" face1 (quote l)) (powerline-raw "%3c" face1 (quote r)) (funcall separator-right face1 mode-line) (powerline-raw " ") (powerline-raw "%6p" nil (quote r)) (powerline-hud face2 face1)))) (concat (powerline-render lhs) (powerline-fill face2 (powerline-width rhs)) (powerline-render rhs)))) signaled (wrong-type-argument hash-table-p "Unprintable entity") [11 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [2 times]
Making completion list...
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra seq paren avoid anzu mule-util thingatpt
time desktop frameset cus-start cus-load moe-theme powerline advice
help-fns powerline-separators color powerline-themes flymake pylookup
cl-macs ido cl gv browse-url python-pep8 derived compile comint
ansi-color ring dired-x dired edmacro kmacro dpaste server tex-site info
easymenu malabar-mode-autoloads eieio-core cl-generic pcase cl-loaddefs
cl-lib package epg-config time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 163926 5386)
 (symbols 48 25976 0)
 (miscs 40 79 140)
 (strings 32 39138 8106)
 (string-bytes 1 1077845)
 (vectors 16 17662)
 (vector-slots 8 489297 2685)
 (floats 8 275 372)
 (intervals 56 250 57)
 (buffers 976 14)
 (heap 1024 46205 3704))