Subject: bug#19963: closed (Re: bug#19963: 25.0.50; Unable to create a directory with name same as an existing file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 21:49:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19963: 25.0.50; Unable to create a directory with name same as an existing file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19963: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19963
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19963: 25.0.50; Unable to create a directory with name same as an existing file
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Kaushal <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 23:48:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Kaushal <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:56:30 +0000
> 
> If a folder has a file "a.b", I can't create a folder named "a.b" in the same
> parent folder.

As expected.

> Unix allows have a file and a directory with the same name in the same parent
> folder.

Not here, it doesn't:

  eliz@fencepost:~/ttttttt$ touch a.b
  eliz@fencepost:~/ttttttt$ ls
  a.b
  eliz@fencepost:~/ttttttt$ mkdir a.b
  mkdir: cannot create directory `a.b': File exists
  eliz@fencepost:~/ttttttt$

A directory is just a special kind of file on most filesystems, and
like a file, it has an entry in its parent directory.  So there cannot
be a file and a directory with the same name, because there can be 2
identical entries in their parent directory.

This is not a bug in Emacs, this is a limitation of the underlying
filesystem to which Emacs heeds.

I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 25.0.50; Unable to create a directory with name same as an existing file
From: Kaushal <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:56:30 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

If a folder has a file "a.b", I can't create a folder named "a.b" in the
same parent folder.

Here is how to recreate that in an "emacs -Q" session:

> emacs -Q &
C-x C-w C-a C-k ~/.emacs.d/test.el
M-: (make-directory "~/.emacs.d/test.el")

Doing so gave me the below error.

Unix allows have a file and a directory with the same name in the same
parent folder. I believe that the distinction between an existing file or
an existing directory is not being made here.

Debugger info:
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-already-exists "File exists"
"/home/kmodi/.emacs.d/test.el/")
  make-directory-internal("/home/kmodi/.emacs.d/test.el/")
  make-directory("~/.emacs.d/test.el/")
  eval((make-directory "~/.emacs.d/test.el/") nil)
  eval-expression((make-directory "~/.emacs.d/test.el/") nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-expression (make-directory
"~/.emacs.d/test.el/") nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-expression)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2015-02-23 on ...
Repository revision: ed7005c0e974a43c9b63d6f5d8ef6bd4099ba449
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.60900000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.10 (Tikanga)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/home/kmodi/usr_local/apps/emacs/25.0
 CPPFLAGS=-fgnu89-inline'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Debugger

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Saving file /home/kmodi/.emacs.d/test.el...
Wrote /home/kmodi/.emacs.d/test.el

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode debug vc-git diff-mode
easymenu easy-mmode time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 81214 6429)
 (symbols 48 18676 0)
 (miscs 40 65 124)
 (strings 32 13094 4483)
 (string-bytes 1 366132)
 (vectors 16 10734)
 (vector-slots 8 399013 6373)
 (floats 8 80 106)
 (intervals 56 209 19)
 (buffers 976 14)
 (heap 1024 234303 1302))