Subject: bug#19945: emacsclient confused by active minibuffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 14:51:23 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm not sure what sit-for you're referring to here.
>
> Not sit-for, sit_for.  This one:
>
> 	  tem0 = sit_for (Vecho_keystrokes, 1, 1);
>
> You did say we are stuck there for the duration of that 1 sec, didn't
> you?  So I'm saying that the problem might be that the connection from
> the client doesn't stop sit_for's waiting, and one possible solution
> is to arrange it to do so.
>
> Does that make sense?

Not immediately.  :-)

I though that that variable was for echoing unfinished (i.e., partial)
keystrokes?   When doing an `M-x', there no timeout for displaying the
`M-x', so it's not clear to me why that should influence anything.

In any case, I thought I could experiment with changing the timeout to
confirm (or not) this hypothesis, but...  I can't reproduce the reported
behaviour any more: "emacsclient -c" now pops up without any delay, even
if the server is in a `M-x'.  :-/

Is anybody else seeing this behaviour with the current trunk?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no