Subject: bug#19942: closed (Re: bug#19942: 25.0.50.1; Changing reftex-include-file-commands has no effect)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:53:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19942: 25.0.50.1; Changing reftex-include-file-commands has no effect

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19942: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19942
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19942: 25.0.50.1; Changing reftex-include-file-commands has no effect
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 11:52:35 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi!

> I was working in this document, wondering why reftex was not finding
> its files. I realized it was because I was using a macro of mine
> (named newpageinput) instead of the usual \input/\include, so I added:
> % reftex-include-file-commands: ("newpageinput" "input" "include") in
> the Local Variables: section, and hit C-u C-c C-n.
>
> But despite my efforts (e.g. removing the corresponding style file in
> auto/), the "C-c )" (reftex-reference) menu was always empty.
>
> After some grepping, I finally found I had to run M-:
> (reftex-compile-variables) RET in order to make it work.
>
> Could this process be documented e.g. in the docstring of
> reftex-include-file-commands ?

The same applies to all parsing-related reftex variables.  When changing
these options with customized, the "reftex tables" are marked dirty and
`reftex-compile-variables' will be called appropriately [1].  When
changing the options from lisp, you have to do that on your own.

I added that to the docs.  Now they mention:

,----[ (info "(reftex)Options") ]
|    In case you don’t use the ‘customize’ interface, here’s a caveat:
| Changing (mostly parsing-related) options might require a call to
| ‘reftex-compile-variables’ in order to become effective.
`----

> Also, it would be nice to mention the option
> reftex-include-file-commands in (info "(auctex) Multifile") or (info
> "(reftex) Multifile Documents").

Now the latter has a new paragraph:

,----[ (info "(reftex)Multifile Documents") ]
|    • RefTeX knows about the ‘\include’ and ‘\input’ macros.  In case you
|      use different commands to include files in a multifile document,
|      customize the variable ‘reftex-include-file-commands’.
| 
`----

Bye,
Tassilo

[1] Actually, reftex-include-file-commands was an exception here.  I
added the appropriate :set property to the defcustom just now.

Subject: 25.0.50.1; Changing reftex-include-file-commands has no effect
From: Nicolas Richard <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 10:17:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

I was working in this document, wondering why reftex was not finding its
files. I realized it was because I was using a macro of mine (named
newpageinput) instead of the usual \input/\include, so I added:
% reftex-include-file-commands: ("newpageinput" "input" "include")
in the Local Variables: section, and hit C-u C-c C-n.

But despite my efforts (e.g. removing the corresponding style file in
auto/), the "C-c )" (reftex-reference) menu was always empty.

After some grepping, I finally found I had to run M-:
(reftex-compile-variables) RET in order to make it work.

Could this process be documented e.g. in the docstring of
reftex-include-file-commands ? Also, it would be nice to mention the
option reftex-include-file-commands in (info "(auctex) Multifile") or
(info "(reftex) Multifile Documents").

Thanks,

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2015-02-18 on LDLC-portable
Package: 25.0.50.1

current state:
==============
(setq
 window-system 'x
 reftex-plug-into-AUCTeX t
 )

-- 
Nicolas Richard