Subject: bug#19940: 25.0.50; Infinite loop in `studlify-word' with Subword mode

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 17:43:06 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 05:49:10 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> One possible solution would be to temporarily switch `subword-mode' off
> in `studlify-region'.  Given the nonsensicality of the latter, and the
> fact that it breaks studlyCapsIdentifiers anyway, this might be the
> preferred solution.  If nobody proposes anything better, I'll tryto
> prepare such a patch within a few days.

Actually, the right solution is described in this NEWS entry:

  ** The new implementation of Subword mode affects word movement everywhere.
  When Subword mode is turned on, 'forward-word', 'backward-word', and
  everything that uses them will move by sub-words, effectively
  overriding the buffer's syntax table.  Lisp programs that shouldn't be
  affected by Subword mode should call the new functions
  'forward-word-strictly' and 'backward-word-strictly' instead.

At the time I wrote this NEWS entry, I reviewed all the callers of
forward/backward-word and changed those which I thought needed that; I
guess I missed studly.el at that time.  Sorry about that.

Thanks.