Subject: bug#19933: LC_TIME category in Coreutils

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:28:05 +0100

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I tried adding 'glibc-locales' to my system profile, and got this:
>
> ERROR: union-build: collision between file and directories ((files ("/gnu/store/nda1ih2iy8likfipl62afiqs6jwdsfxi-glibc-locales-2.20/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_TIME")) (dirs ("/gnu/store/mgfqcbm31rh738z13xlwh9ld9dm2vfvz-coreutils-8.23/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_TIME")))
>
> Indeed, in coreutils "share/locale/zh_CN/LC_TIME" is a directory
> containing a symbolic link "coreutils.mo" pointing to
> "../LC_MESSAGES/coreutils.mo", whereas in glibc-locales
> "share/locale/zh_CN/LC_TIME" is a binary file.
>
> Any ideas how to resolve this conflict?

I would have expected packages other than libc to provide only
LC_MESSAGES, so I didn’t think such collisions could happen.

This happens with Coreutils because its bootstrap.conf adds
‘EXTRA_LOCALE_CATEGORIES = LC_TIME’ to po/Makevars, and apparently
always has.

However, I suspect this isn’t needed.  Can someone comment?

Thanks,
Ludo’.