Subject: bug#19931: 24.4; Support for OS X press and hold

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:05:32 +0100

Message-ID: <[email-masked]
--text follows this line--

"Press and hold" is an OS X input method used for entering accented
characters if a key is held down (instead of repeating the key).  It's
not supported in Emacs.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-06/msg00784.html
states: "Let's look into making it work properly once people decide to
install Lion."
That was more than three years ago, and since then two major OS X
versions have been released, but unfortunately press and hold is still
not supported.  It would be great to support this feature to make Emacs
more consistent with other apps on OS X.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
 of 2014-10-22 on p
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1344
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.4
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/24.4/share/info/emacs --without-dbus
 --without-gnutls --with-ns --disable-ns-self-contained'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71987 6607)
 (symbols 48 17377 0)
 (miscs 40 36 154)
 (strings 32 9965 4605)
 (string-bytes 1 263174)
 (vectors 16 9021)
 (vector-slots 8 384474 14793)
 (floats 8 53 103)
 (intervals 56 179 0)
 (buffers 960 11))