Subject: 23.0.60; Emacs.app has only transparent window background

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 19:54:16 +0100

Hello!

When I build Emacs.app from source from yesterday evening (18:00 UTC)

	In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, NS apple- 
appkit-824.48)
	 of 2009-01-22 on localhost
	Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.824
	configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained'  
'--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/ 
calendar23:/Library/Application Support/Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/ 
lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/system-openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-g -Wno-pointer-sign - 
bind_at_load -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim- 
altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks - 
freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno- 
crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load - 
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses''

or today (12:00 UTC)

	In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, NS apple- 
appkit-824.48)
	 of 2009-01-22 on localhost
	Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.824
	configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained'  
'--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/ 
calendar23:/Library/Application Support/Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/ 
lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/system-openssl/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -bind_at_load  
-H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree- 
vectorize -foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks- 
and-partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=- 
no-cpp-precomp' 'LDFLAGS=-bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined  
suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses''

and have these settings after I've launched it as 'nextstep/Emacs.app/ 
Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q --debug-init' (after a 'sudo make install')

	Important settings:
	  value of $LC_ALL: nil
	  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
	  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
	  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
	  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
	  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
	  value of $LC_TIME: nil
	  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
	  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
	  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
	  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
	
	Major mode: Lisp Interaction
	
	Minor modes in effect:
	  tooltip-mode: t
	  mouse-wheel-mode: t
	  menu-bar-mode: t
	  file-name-shadow-mode: t
	  global-font-lock-mode: t
	  font-lock-mode: t
	  global-auto-composition-mode: t
	  auto-composition-mode: t
	  auto-encryption-mode: t
	  auto-compression-mode: t
	  line-number-mode: t
	  transient-mark-mode: t
	
	Recent input:
	<ns-new-frame> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-
	bug-report>

I get completely transparent background of the windows. Only the  
frame's decoration (scroll-bar, tabbar), mode-line and the fringe's  
decoration are opaque, text looks frayed out/worn out. When I launch  
it the regular way then most colours are incorrect. And when I then  
pick into the *temp* buffer, I activate the Aqua client behind  
Emacs.app. Otool -L reports:

	/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Versions/C/AppKit  
(compatibility version 45.0.0, current version 824.48.0)
	/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib (compatibility version  
3.0.0, current version 3.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libdbus-1.3.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current  
version 8.0.0)
	/sw/lib/ncurses/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,  
current version 5.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current  
version 88.1.12)
	/usr/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current  
version 1.0.0)

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____