Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Emacs.app has only transparent window background

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:35:00 +0200

Am 06.04.2009 um 06:25 schrieb Adrian Robert:

> IMHO Command is too heavily used on the Mac to simply throw under  
> the bus by default -- the very user who will like emacs or uses it  
> on other platforms is exactly the one already using cmd-shortcuts  
> in other apps on the Mac.  Further, "traditionalists" are most  
> prepared to get their hands dirty and set up a command=meta mapping  
> if they want it.  Whereas a less savvy, single-platform user coming  
> to Emacs.app from Text Edit, XCode, etc. will be most at home with  
> command=super and alt=alt.  As they learn emacs more, they can make  
> their own decision about which key to give up for meta if they  
> dislike esc+.

I wouldn't mind if command=super by default – provided some key  
bindings are reserved for Mac OS X (copy, paste, maximise/minimise,  
hide/unhide, maybe also new frame and preferences/customisation), a  
three button can be emulated, and the standard Meta key bindings of  
GNU Emacs are also available as super key bindings (for example M-g g/ 
M-g M-g, which collides with s-g, isearch-repeat-forward).

--
Greetings

   Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact  
opposite.