Subject: RE: bug#19924: 24.4; incremental search for octal character

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 14:02:36 -0800 (PST)

> "To search for non-ASCII characters, use one of the following methods:
> • Type C-q, followed by a non-graphic character or a sequence of octal
> digits."
> 
> In my case I typed C-q, followed by 213 and then return (the enter key).
> Rather than searching, the octal character \213 is inserted into the
> file.

Where did you read to hit RET?  Try just using `C-q 2 1 3' followed by
hitting `C-s' again.

> PROBLEM 2: Vose conjectured that the manual was simply mistaken, and
> should have said something closer to: To search for an octal character,
> type C-s C-q, followed by a sequence of octal digits.

Yes, that's what was meant: hit `C-q' while searching (i.e., after
using `C-s').

> In my case I typed C-s C-q, followed by 213 and then return (the enter
> key).  Rather than searching, the message "Failing I-search: \213" was
> displayed (see attached screen shot).

Again, don't hit RET.  Just use `C-s C-q 2 1 3 C-s'.

The doc should perhaps make it clear that what it describes doing is
to be done while searching, i.e., after using `C-s'.