Subject: 24.4; incremental search for octal character

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 14:13:36 -0500

This bug -- PROBLEM 2 -- is being reported on behalf of D. Paddy
(I was unable to help solve the issue).

D. Paddy writes:

TWO (2) problems; for both I follow the GNU Emacs manual from
"https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html"

PROBLEM 1: The following is quoted from page 91:

"To search for non-ASCII characters, use one of the following methods:
• Type C-q, followed by a non-graphic character or a sequence of octal
digits."

In my case I typed C-q, followed by 213 and then return (the enter key).
Rather than searching, the octal character \213 is inserted into the
file.

PROBLEM 2: Vose conjectured that the manual was simply mistaken, and
should have said something closer to: To search for an octal character,
type C-s C-q, followed by a sequence of octal digits.

In my case I typed C-s C-q, followed by 213 and then return (the enter
key).  Rather than searching, the message "Failing I-search: \213" was
displayed (see attached screen shot).

Vose suggested: M-x search-forward return C-q 213 return return
but that likewise fails.

Vose suggested: M-x find-file-literally, but the same problem occurs.

If this is a feature of emacs or of the documentation, then please
respond to the following plea for charity: exactly what buttons of the
keyboard do I press to successfully search for octal 213 ? And if
instead there is no problem because octal 213 is not really in the file
after all -- dispite what the screenshot seems to indicate -- and so
therefore searching for it *should fail*, then how do I change my .emacs
file so that emacs will stop lying to me about file contents?  As noted
above, the same problem occurs with M-x find-file-literally, i.e., the
buffer seems to contain octal 213 (same screen shot) but searching for
it fails.

Much obliged.

D. Paddy

P.S. The above was all using emacs -Q

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2015-02-09 on blackbox
 Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version
 11.0.11502000
 Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
   --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
    --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
     --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
      --disable-silent-rules --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-24
  --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24 --localstatedir=/var
   --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
    --with-gameuser=games --without-compress-install
     --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --without-dbus
      --without-gnutls --without-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos
       --without-kerberos5 --without-xml2 --without-selinux
 --without-wide-int
  --with-zlib --with-sound=no --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
   --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif
    --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
     --with-imagemagick --without-xft --without-libotf
 --without-m17n-flt
  --with-x-toolkit=no GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.4-r1
   'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
    -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
    locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
    tooltip-mode: t
      electric-indent-mode: t
        mouse-wheel-mode: t
          menu-bar-mode: t
            file-name-shadow-mode: t
              global-font-lock-mode: t
                blink-cursor-mode: t
                  auto-composition-mode: t
                    auto-encryption-mode: t
                      auto-compression-mode: t
                        line-number-mode: t
                          transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> m p e g <return> <help-echo> C-x b <return>
C-x C-s C-x k <return> C-x b <return> C-x k <return>
C-x b <return> C-x k <return> C-x b <return> C-x b
<return> C-q 2 7 3 C-g C-g C-g C-g C-s C-q 2 7 3 <return>
C-g C-g C-g C-_ C-s C-q 2 7 2 <return> C-g C-g C-g
C-g C-s C-q 2 7 2 C-s C-x k <return> C-x C-f v i <tab>
d <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> D o <tab> w n <tab> v <backspace> f <tab>
7 <tab> v i <tab> <return> y C-g C-x C-f <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> D o <tab> w <tab> f e <tab> 7 <tab> q .
<tab> <tab> <return> C-s C-q 2 4 4 C-s C-g C-g C-g
C-s C-q 2 4 4 <return> C-g C-g C-s C-q \ 2 4 4 C-s
M-< <help-echo> C-s C-q 2 1 3 <return> C-g <help-echo>
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5>
<mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5>
<double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4>
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <down-mouse-4>
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> C-a C-n C-k
C-a C-n C-k C-k C-k C-k C-k C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_
C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_
C-_ C-_ C-_ C-_ C-a C-l C-n C-l <help-echo> C-a C-s
C-q 2 1 3 <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-< M-<
C-x k <return> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-tutorial>
C-s b u g s <backspace> C-s C-s M-< <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<emacs-tutorial> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emac
s-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
Quit [3 times]
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
byte-code: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Undo! [6 times]
user-error: No further undo information [17 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Preparing tutorial ...
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils tutorial hexl eldoc help-fns mule-util help-mode
easymenu ispell misearch multi-isearch tex-mode compile shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring latexenc site-gentoo time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
inotify dynamic-setting x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 92178 45039)
 (symbols 48 19342 12)
 (miscs 40 94 665)
 (strings 32 14527 24688)
 (string-bytes 1 17114196)
 (vectors 16 16163)
 (vector-slots 8 1058778 186848)
 (floats 8 71 1128)
 (intervals 56 1097 969)
 (buffers 960 23)
 (heap 1024 70663 70634))