Subject: 24.4; tab behavior in Outline mode with tab width 4

From: "David Calman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 21:42:01 -0800

With a tab width of 4 in outline mode, Emacs does this mixed space/tab
thing. Tab stops are set to nil, but consecutive tabs go to columns 5,
13, 21, 29... anyway.

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
 of 2015-02-12 on desktop-new
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure
 --srcdir=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.4-3.i686/src/emacs-24.4
 --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --datadir=/usr/share --localstatedir=/var
 --sysconfdir=/etc --libdir=/usr/lib --datarootdir=/usr/share
 --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs/html -C
 --with-w32 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe -Wimplicit-function-declaration
 
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.4-3.i686/build=/usr/sr
c/debug/emacs-24.4-3
 
-fdebug-prefix-map=/home/kbrown/src/cygemacs/emacs-24.4-3.i686/src/emacs-24.
4=/usr/src/debug/emacs-24.4-3'
 CPPFLAGS= LDFLAGS='

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  outline-minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  paragraph-indent-minor-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
l <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> P 
h i l i p p i n e s SPC a n d SPC R e c <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> SPC R e c o g n 
i t i o n SPC f r o m SPC t h e <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> SPC f o r SPC t h e SPC r i 
g s <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> SPC r u g s <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> SPC r u g s e s <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> SPC R u s s i a n <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> SPC R u s s i a n s <return> <tab> <tab> 
<tab> SPC T A * R B <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> SPC T A * R <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> SPC 
t a b <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<tab> <tab> <tab> <tab> <tab> <tab> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1> <down-mouse-3> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
ispell-lookup-words: lookup-words error: No plain word-list found at
systemdefault locations.  Customize `ispell-alternate-dictionary' to set
yours.
Indenting region...done
Mark set
call-interactively: End of buffer
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window, C-M-v to scroll help.
Auto-saving...done
Paragraph-Indent minor mode enabled
Outline minor mode enabled
Auto-saving...done
Auto-saving...done
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message idna format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils noutline outline easy-mmode help-fns
help-mode ispell elec-pair apropos cus-edit easymenu cus-start cus-load
wid-edit cl-loaddefs cl-lib vc-git time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel w32-common-fns disp-table
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 115403 11690)
 (symbols 24 20039 0)
 (miscs 20 1369 303)
 (strings 16 18541 3761)
 (string-bytes 1 472264)
 (vectors 8 11010)
 (vector-slots 4 402824 5264)
 (floats 8 67 491)
 (intervals 28 1011 295)
 (buffers 512 21))