Subject: bug#19918: closed (Re: bug#19918: 25.0.50; links in *Backtrace* & *Help* go to the wrong function definitions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 21:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19918: 25.0.50; links in *Backtrace* & *Help* go to the wrong function definitions

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19918: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19918
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19918: 25.0.50; links in *Backtrace* & *Help* go to the wrong function definitions
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 22:57:30 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Could you please give a recipe for how to reproduce
>> this bug using vanilla Emacs?
>
> That bug was reported 5 years ago, for Emacs 25.
> It seems that it's been fixed, in Emacs 26.3 at
> least.  So I guess the bug can be closed.  Thx.

Thanks for that, and I'm therefore closing this bug.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 25.0.50; links in *Backtrace* & *Help* go to the wrong function definitions
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:53:29 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In my setup, i.e., with Bookmark+ loaded, function `bookmark-bmenu-list'
is defined in file bookmark+-bmu.el.  In the debugger, there is a line
like this:

 * bookmark-bmenu-list(nil)

with the function name highlighted with a button.  `C-u C-x =' on the
name shows this:

 Here is a `help-function-def' button labeled `bookmark-bmenu-list'.

 There are text properties here:
   button               (t)
   category             help-function-def-button
   help-args            [Show]

Clicking [Show] shows this:

 (bookmark-bmenu-list
   "d:/Emacs-25-2014-10-20/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/bookmark.el")

That's wrong.  And clicking mouse-2 on that button takes me to that
wrong file.  And so does `C-h f' followed by the name and clicking on
the library, which is shown as bookmark.el.

The debugger correctly traverses the code of the version of the function
that is defined in bookmark+-bmu.el, however.

IOW, the function is defined correctly.  It is only the links in Help
and the debugger that are wrong, as well as the file name in Help.  But
the doc string in Help is correct - it is the doc string for the
Bookmark+ version of the function.

The redefinition of the function in bookmark+-bmu.el is a
straightforward defun.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'