Subject: bug#19911: 24.4; shell-mode command completion - smarter handling of backup files

From: Ed Avis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:47:55 +0000

>Does customizing shell-completion-fignore to include "~" do what you
>want?

It appears not to; I now have

'(shell-completion-fignore (quote ("~"))

in my custom-set-variables, but the behaviour on typing ./script TAB TAB is still the same.

But really this bug is about the different treatment of filename completion and command completion.
Whatever the shell-completion-fignore setting, it should apply the same way to both.
It appears that filename completion has special handling for backup files, even if shell-completion-fignore
is at its default empty values.  The backup files are not completely ignored for tab-completion, but
they do not provoke a completions buffer either.  They just require you to hit TAB a second time.
That is a sensible compromise as a default behaviour - it just needs to be applied consistently to
command completion too.

-- 
Ed Avis <[email-masked]>

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the Symantec Email Security.cloud service.
For more information please visit http://www.symanteccloud.com
______________________________________________________________________