Subject: Re: bug#19910: 24.4; Japanese font names are decoded incorrectly in Cygwin's emacs-w32 in LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 18:03:46 +0200

> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 00:22:00 +0900
> From: Fujii Hironori <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > The problem is in w32font.c: it should call the "wide" (a.k.a.
> > "Unicode") APIs, and then decode strings using utf-16le, like we do in
> > w32fns.c with encoding strings we pass to w32 GUI APIs.
> 
> Unicode API patch is attached. Could you review it?
> Should I use GetProcAddress for Windows 9x?

Thanks.

However, this goes too far: there's no need to replace all the
functions with "wide" versions, only those functions that return font
name strings from the system.  For example, I don't think
CreateFontIndirect needs to be switched to Unicode, does it?  And CRT
functions like _wcslwr and swprintf that work on wchar_t arguments
aren't supported on Windows 9X, AFAIK, so we cannot call them.  (One
reason for using the minimum number of "wide" APIs is that we don't
have good ways of testing the development code on Windows 9X.)

And yes, for Windows 9X you will need to call these functions through
function pointers, after assigning them with GetProcAddress, as
w32font.c does elsewhere.

I would actually suggest to have a Cygwin-only branches of the code,
where you can freely call the "wide" APIs without bothering about
Windows 9X, since that's what the Cygwin-w32 build does elsewhere, and
since this is a Cygwin-specific problem due to the difference between
file-name encoding and the locale emulated by Cygwin.  There are a
bunch of macros like GUI_STR and GUI_ENCODE_FILE near the end of
w32term.h that can be used to minimize #ifdef's to the absolute
minimum.