Subject: bug#19907: 24.4; mml-mode PGP encryption should do case-insensitive matches on e-mail address

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 15:56:59 -0500

I use notmuch-emacs as my MUA.  When i go to send mail, it uses mml-mode
to compose a message, just like this bug report.

If i try to sign the mail using C-RET c p ( which is
mml-secure-message-sign-encrypt), it inserts the mml signing tag like
this (but without the space between the first anglebracket and the #):

    < #secure method=pgpmime mode=signencrypt>

When it goes to encrypt upon sending, though, it chooses the encryption
key(s) by doing a case-sensitive match on the recipient e-mail address.
This match should be case-insensitive.

note that gpg's attempt to match e-mail addresses specifically uses this
form:

  gpg --list-keys '<[email-masked]>'

and gpg itself is case-insensitive for this match.

The domain part of an e-mail address clearly should be case-insensitive.
And while technically the local-part of the e-mail address may not be
case-insensitive, in practice on the modern SMTP network, e-mail address
local parts are treated as case-insensitive, and mml-mode should follow
this practice as well.

enigmail recently fixed a bug with case-sensitive matching as well:

 https://sourceforge.net/p/enigmail/bugs/323/

Regards,

        --dkg

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2014-12-09 on gaia, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11602901
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.0 (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/haskell-mode/haskell-mode-autoloads.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50haskell-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50js2-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50notmuch.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50ocaml-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50php-elisp.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50python-docutils.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/51debian-el.el (source)...done
No desktop file.
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs/24.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug notmuch hl-line
notmuch-version notmuch-message notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-hello
wid-edit notmuch-tree notmuch-parser notmuch-show notmuch-print
notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-address notmuch-wash diff-mode coolj
notmuch-query goto-addr icalendar diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag crm notmuch-lib cl gv message sendmail
rfc822 mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader mm-view mml-smime
smime password-cache dig mailcap mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr savehist time desktop frameset debian-el debian-el-loaddefs
haskell-mode-autoloads edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib ido ess-toolbar
ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
ess-noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l
ess-sas-a shell pcomplete ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs
make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d compile ess-tracebug
format-spec ess-roxy advice hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args
eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode
ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-custom executable easymenu ess-compat
ess-site emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs
easy-mmode dpkg-dev-el dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs bbdb-autoloads time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 145009 11093)
 (symbols 48 26754 0)
 (miscs 40 55 141)
 (strings 32 34798 5223)
 (string-bytes 1 1119203)
 (vectors 16 17921)
 (vector-slots 8 466498 3885)
 (floats 8 121 60)
 (intervals 56 318 0)
 (buffers 960 12)
 (heap 1024 35134 1063))