Subject: bug#19903: 24.4; wrong-type-argument symbolp "bold" during enriched-encode

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:55:46 +0000

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:10:13 +0000
>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2015 06:20:36 +0000

[…]

 >>>> I’m unsure where you see an UI issue here?  The issue, as
 >>>> originally reported, is that face-attribute fails to handle
 >>>> string-named faces, which are considered perfectly valid by the
 >>>> rest of Emacs (including, say, facep and the display engine.)

 >>> Accepting strings instead of symbols is a convenience feature
 >>> for users, so it's a UI issue.

 >> Could you please elaborate on this?  Specifically, does this apply
 >> to the interactive or non-interactive use (or both) of
 >> facemenu-add-face?

 > Both.

	Frankly, I fail to see how allowing the first of the following
	provides for any additional convenience over the second:

    M-x facemenu-add-face RET "bold" RET  (adds 'bold face);
    M-x facemenu-add-face RET bold RET    (adds "bold" one.)

	And, similarly:

   (facemenu-add-face "bold" here there)
   (facemenu-add-face 'bold  here there)

[…]

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  When the Wild Wind Blows — Iron Maiden  230E 334A