Subject: Re: bug#19900: 24.4; info-look.el quotes from makeinfo @item

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 08:11:19 +0200

> From: Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 16:40:47 +1100
> 
> Recent makeinfo on @item generates forward quote 'foo' rather than
> backquote `foo' which it used to.  info-look.el doesn't match the
> forward 'foo' in various places which are @table (as opposed to @defun
> etc).

These two characters are actually customizable in the latest Texinfo
(although I doubt that many people use that feature).  So perhaps
there should be a defcustom for them, so users could use other
characters if needed.

> 2015-02-19  Kevin Ryde  <[email-masked]>
> 
> 	* info-look.el (c-mode, bison-mode, makefile-mode)
> 	(makefile-automake-mode, texinfo-mode, autoconf-mode, awk-mode)
> 	(latex-mode, emacs-lisp-mode, sh-mode, cfengine-mode): Match both
> 	`foo' and 'foo' for @item and similar.
> 	(emacs-lisp-mode): U+2018,U+2019 in emacs.info and elisp.info too.
> 	(latex-mode): Match multi-arg \frac{num}{den} or \sqrt[root]{n} in
> 	suffix regexp

Why do you confine U+2018 and U+2019 to Emacs manuals?  AFAIK, they
will appear in any manual that has its @documentencoding set to UTF-8.
So I think you can see that in any manual any time.

Thanks.