Subject: Re: bug#19889: bug#22207: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 10:05:27 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Courier New is the default font on MS-Windows, so selecting it means
> we will have a face that is indistinguishable from the default: not
> good.

OK, the patch I just sent to Bug#19889 does that.

> Consolas comes with latest Windows versions out of the box, so I don't
> think there's a problem in having it on the list (we could do that
> only on Windows, if we don't want to recommend it on GNU/Linux).

Probably not worth the hassle. I merely listed it after Courier 10 Pitch.

> I don't understand what "monospace" means in that list.  There's no
> such font, AFAIK, and all the other fonts are monospaced already, so
> what's behind that "monospace"? any other monospaced font?

The source was talking about CSS, and I guess "monospace" has a meaning in CSS
that is roughly the same as "Monospace" in face-font-family-alternatives.

> Other than that, how about using the outcome of that census, and
> request specific fonts it mentions, ordered by their quality, as the
> census recommends?  I think this will yield better results than
> relying on family matches.

The patch I just sent does that, by inventing a name "Monospace Serif" as a way
to make the request conveniently as an argument to :family when using defface.
It sounds like you may prefer doing this sort of thing in some other way, but I
do not know what that way would be and so would appreciate any advice, as I am
by no means an expert in Emacs font configuration and am just trying to get the
bug fixed for the typical user.