Subject: bug#19889: bug#22207: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 11:24:14 -0700

On 05/06/2016 10:18 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> We could specify the font explicitly.
>
>> >More specifically: is it the introduction of ‘fixed-pitch-serif’
>> >that you’re objecting to, or the addition of FreeMono and Nimbus
>> >Mono L as fonts to look for
> The latter.  I see that as a (perhaps complicated and a bit
> unreliable) way of specifying a font which we know we want to get as
> result.  If so, why not specify the font explicitly?

The problem is, which font to specify explicitly? Not all platforms have 
a font named "Courier". Mine doesn't (Fedora 23). If we knew that all 
Emacs platforms had an appropriate font (Courier, or FreeMono, or Nimbus 
Mono L, or whatever), we could specify that font, but I do not know of 
any such font, nor do I know how to query arbitrary platforms for such a 
font.

In further testing on my Fedora 23 host I discovered another suitable 
anti-aliased font, Courier 10 Pitch. It is also a free font and looks a 
bit better with emacs -Q, and Wikipedia says Courier 10 Pitch BT is the 
default Courier font on many GNU/Linux hosts 
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courier_%28typeface%29#Courier_10_Pitch_BT>. 
So I will update my proposed patch to prefer Courier 10 Pitch to the 
alternatives already in the list.