Subject: bug#19889: bug#22207: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 09:24:11 -0700

On 05/06/2016 08:58 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> if there's any
> problem with that image, can you point it out?

Here is my reaction to Glenn’s attachment to 
<http://bugs.gnu.org/19889#15>. Some users are reaaaaally annoyed by 
aliased (“jagged”) fonts, particularly when combined with text that is 
mostly anti-aliased. The annoyance level can depend on the display 
technology: due to subpixel rendering, for example, what you see when 
you look at Glenn’s attachment on your display may differ from what 
Glenn sees on his display.

Other users aren’t bothered at all.

With all this in mind, I can sympathize with Glenn’s discomfort with his 
attachment: although on my display it is sort of OK (certainly better 
than I observed in my attachment to <http://bugs.gnu.org/22207#1>), the 
serifed text is distractingly blocky.

Plus, there’s another problem with Emacs’s current approach: on my 
Fedora 23 platform, the jagged font lacks serifs, which defeats the main 
point of specifying Courier for quoted Info text.

The combination of these two issues makes the Emacs manual look more 
amateurish on my platform. In contrast, the anti-aliased font is 
smoother and fits in better. Although many users will not care about the 
difference, some will. I’ll attach screenshots to try to illustrate.

Although I think this bug should be fixed, the patch’s improvement is 
small enough that I do not see the bug as a blocker against Emacs 25.