Subject: bug#19889: closed (Re: bug#19889: bug#22207: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 21:34:01 +0000

Your bug report

#19889: tex-verbatim face: don't specify :family?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19889: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19889
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19889: bug#22207: emacs-25 mishandles info code text on Fedora 23
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 14:33:17 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 05/07/2016 10:27 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I don't mind the change,
> but I'd urge others to try the patch and see if it causes any
> problems.

I installed the patch into master, to get the ball rolling on that.

Although I had been thinking of installing the patch into emacs-25, I 
see that Bug#19759 no longer lists 19889 or 22207 as blockers, which 
means emacs-25 is not a suitable place for the patch. (Bug#22207 was a 
blocker but I could not reproduce it and so closed it on May 5.)

Bug#19889 says it blocks 19759 as of 2015-12-18 and there is no 
indication it was ever unblocked. Conversely, Bug#19759 does not 
currently list Bug#19889 as a blocker; I don't know why not. If 
Bug#19889 is supposed to still be a blocker, then the patch should be 
backported from master to emacs-25.

At any event Bug#19889 seems to be fixed in master, so I am boldly 
closing it now; if this is wrong we can always reopen it of course.

Subject: tex-verbatim face: don't specify :family?
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 15:39:45 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: emacs
Version: 24.4
Severity: minor

The tex-verbatim face is defined as

   '((t :family "courier"))

Is this a good idea?

AFAICS, it is the only face definition in Emacs that specifies a :family.
It seems to cause problems on some systems, see:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=684797

For me on RHEL7, that faces looks poor (blocky/pixellated) compared to
the other faces Emacs uses.