Subject: bug#19884: closed (Re: bug#19884: 24.3; Unimplemented `url-handler' functions)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 07:47:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19884: 24.3; Unimplemented `url-handler' functions

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19884: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19884
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19884: 24.3; Unimplemented `url-handler' functions
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 02:46:36 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Eli Barzilay wrote:

>     emacs -Q
>
> * Change this option using `set-variable' or a plain `setq':
>     (setq read-file-name-completion-ignore-case t)
>
> * Activate the url-handler mode
>     M-x url-handler-mode RET
>
> * Try to load some URL:
>     C-x C-f C-a C-k http://barzilay.org/ RET

Thanks. By experiment, this was present in 24.3 but fixed in 24.4.

Subject: 24.3; Unimplemented `url-handler' functions
From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 00:19:12 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm not sure what the intended use of `url-handler-mode' is, or how to
get the `url-dav' thing to work -- but it seems that the only thing
that stands in my way of loading a URL in Emacs is these two functions
from "url-handlers.el": `url-file-name-completion' and
`url-file-name-all-completions', both just throw an "Unimplemented"
error.

I have redefined them with trivial versions:

  (defun url-file-name-completion (_url _directory &optional _predicate) t)
  (defun url-file-name-all-completions (file _directory) (list file))

and with that I can now load remote files via HTTP.  This is obviously
limited in a way that makes a proper DAV client (with a matching
server) better, but I suspect that for most people this is irrelevant,
and I don't see any explanation why the error-throwing is needed.  (It
seems that the url-dav thing has its own functions anyway.)

(I'm leaving the following information because of all those things
that I'm not sure about, as I said in the beginning.)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.2.9200
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  desktop-save-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Features:
(shadow mailalias vm-reply vm-rfaddons vm-menu vm-window vm-toolbar
vm-folder vm-mime vm-undo vm-virtual vm-summary-faces vm-summary
vm-mouse vm-page vm-motion vm-minibuf vm-message vm-misc vm-macro
vm-autoloads vm-vars vm-version vm emacsbug message format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils misearch multi-isearch view apropos help-mode desktop
filladapt scroll-in-place cua-base time edmacro kmacro minibuf-eldef
electric paren mic-paren whitespace jka-compr uniquify warnings advice
help-fns cl-lib advice-preload cal-x cal-menu easymenu calendar
cal-loaddefs netrc url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process w32 multi-tty emacs)

-- 
          ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
                    http://barzilay.org/                   Maze is Life!