Subject: Re: bug#1988: Making the license statement visible in the Emacs Manual

From: Jesse W <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:38:37 -0800

Whew, that was a lot of files...

On Feb 6, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Karl Berry wrote:
> No.  Sorry for not specifying.  I just mean the manuals in the Emacs
> distribution, namely those here:
> http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/emacs/doc/?root=emacs
>
> (There are many individual manuals in the misc/ subdir.)
Oh, /those/ manuals... ;-)  OK, here they are.

calc.texi had the copyright date line repeated on the title page, so I 
removed the redundant one.

dbus.texi already included @insertcopying, as far back as its initial 
revision about a year ago.

erc.texi is the same.

faq.texi isn't under the GFDL, rather it's under a vague copyleft 
statement, with copyright dates going back to 1990.

gnus-faq.texi claims to be generated from an XML file, which I can't 
find (the given URL breaks, the gnus.org site does not appear to have 
the purported XML file visible anywhere..), so I'm leaving that one 
aside for now.

gnus-news.texi is also not under GFDL, and has it's copyright statement 
in a comment, so we'll leave that one alone, too.

gnus.texi already has @insertcopying.

mh-e.texi is dual-licensed under the GFDL 1.3+ and the GPL 3+, and 
already has @insertcopying.

org.texi already has @insertcopying.

remember.texi does too.

smtpmail.texi also.

tramp.texi has @insertcopying at the bottom of the Top node.

trampver.texi isn't exactly a manual, and has it's license statement in 
a comment; ignoring.

Quite a few of them repeated a descriptive line in @copying and in the 
top of the Top node; I removed the repeats where I saw them.

And that's it...  all the others are included in the big-pile-o-patch 
attached below.

> Dealing with manuals in other distributions has to be done separately,
> through their respective maintainers/bug lists.  If you want to take
> that on, that would be great.
OK, I'll see what I can do.  Do you have any suggestions about which 
projects would be most receptive?

Jesse Weinstein