Subject: Re: bug#1988: Making the license statement visible in the Emacs Manual

From: Jesse W <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 13:28:45 -0800

On Jan 26, 2009, at 10:41 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Jesse W wrote:
>
>> There is a specific texinfo @ command, @insertcopying, which is
>> designed to make the @copying information visible.  See
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/
>> insertcopying.html#insertcopying
>
> This command is already used in the Emacs manual, in what I believe is
> the way texinfo recommends. It only affects the printed titlepage.
I'm glad to see that the license grant appears on the printed format; 
however, that doesn't resolve the problem that it's impossible for 
someone reading the plain-text version, or reading the HTML without 
looking at the source, to tell what the license grant is (specifically, 
the inclusion of Invariant Sections).

It is quite feasible to include either the full license grant, or a 
note referring to where it is, by using @ifhtml and @ifplain 
directives.  It may *also* be good to modify the Sample Texts to 
include this, but, the Emacs Manual can be fixed in any case.

Jesse Weinstein