Subject: Re: bug#1988: Making the license statement visible in the Emacs Manual

From: Jesse W <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:33:59 -0800

On Jan 25, 2009, at 11:38 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Jesse W wrote:
>> Currently, in the displayed HTML of the Emacs Manual, there is nothing
>> the specifically says it is released under the GFDL (GNU Free
>> Documentation License), and what the Invariant Sections and  
>> Cover-Texts
>> are.  It's in an HTML comment, but there isn't even a note in the
>> rendered text to tell you to look there.
>
> The Emacs manual uses the standard texinfo @copying command to specify
> this information; so I'd say that this was a texinfo issue rather than
> an Emacs issue. Perhaps you can check on the texinfo list (?) if this
> has been discussed?
There is a specific texinfo @ command, @insertcopying, which is  
designed to make the @copying information visible.  See  
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/ 
insertcopying.html#insertcopying

There does not seem to have been discussion about it on the texinfo-bug  
list.

I'm suggesting that the Emacs Manual be modified either to
1) Include the @insertcopying command at the beginning of the document,  
so the license grant is visible in all the formats, or
2) Insert a note that tells people to look in the HTML/texinfo source  
code for the license grant.

This is not a texinfo problem.

Jesse Weinstein