Subject: Re: bug#19877: 24.4; highlight-regexp displays nonsense options for faces

From: Boruch Baum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 19:24:31 -0500

On 02/18/2015 01:23 PM, Juri Linkov wrote:
> These additional entries in the history are all faces that you can select
> if you want instead of the small set of default faces at the beginning
> of the list.
Since you said so, I double-checked the items that I thought were not
faces, and you're correct: apropos-variable-button,
org-target, bookmark-menu-bookmark, org-agenda-date-today, and
ido-incomplete-regexp are all faces. (would be nice if there were a
standard labeling convention identifying faces, eg. foo-face).

> Maybe the list of all faces (that come after the default faces)
> should be better sorted somehow, e.g. alphabetically or by use frequency.
My vote is to just restrict the options to those specified in
hi-lock-face-defaults. The value can be easily modified, and its a
simple way to keep unusual and unexpected faces from appearing. Also,
how many hi-lock faces is anyone going to ever need?

>  
> PS: Regarding the default faces used twice, I don't know the reason
> why it was implemented this way, so it seems your patch will improve it.
Glad to be of some help.

-- 
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0