Subject: bug#19874: closed (Re: bug#19874: 25.0.50; encode-time not working as expected)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:42:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19874: 25.0.50; encode-time not working as expected

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19874: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19874
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19874: 25.0.50; encode-time not working as expected
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: Ashish SHUKLA <[email-masked]>
Cc: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 08:41:06 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 02/27/2015 12:28 AM, Ashish SHUKLA wrote:
> If your test program is modified a bit:
> ...
> then it doesn't fail:

Sure, but the modified test program has unspecified behavior in POSIX, 
as there's no guarantee that environ[1] is "abc" (it might be "mno").  
Whereas the original test program has well-defined behavior in POSIX, 
but reports an error because FreeBSD 10.1 getenv is buggy.

Anyway, Emacs now works around the FreeBSD bug so I'm closing this Emacs 
bug report.  Thanks for checking the fix.

Subject: 25.0.50; encode-time not working as expected
From: [email-masked] (Ashish SHUKLA)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:10:44 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm running FreeBSD 10.1 (amd64). My /etc/localtime points to "Asia/Kolkata"
(Indian Standard Time, UTC+0530) timezone.

For "Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 06:42:44 +0000 (UTC)":

#v+
(encode-time 44 42 6 15 2 2015 0 nil 0)
=> (21727 62092) = 1423962764
#v-

#v+
>>> print gmtime(1423962764)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=1, tm_min=12, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
>>> print localtime(1423962764)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=6, tm_min=42, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
#v-

If it was "Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 06:42:44 +0530":

#v+
(encode-time 44 42 6 15 2 2015 0 nil 19800)
=> (21727 62092)
#v-

The expected output for the time specified in UTC should be:
(21728 16356) = 1423982564

#v+
>>> print gmtime(1423982564)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=6, tm_min=42, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
>>> print localtime(1423982564)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=12, tm_min=12, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
#v-

I've come across while trying to figure out cause for a bug[1] report while
ago.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1, GTK+ Version 3.14.7)
 of 2015-02-06 on chateau.d.if
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11407000
Configured using:
 `configure --localstatedir=/var --without-compress-install --with-dbus
 --with-file-notification=gfile --with-gconf --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --with-gsettings --with-jpeg --with-m17n-flt --with-imagemagick --with-libotf
 --with-png --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-x
 --with-xft --with-xim --with-xml2 --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-sound=alsa --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib
 --x-includes=/usr/local/include --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man
 --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/ --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -march=corei7 -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing'
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include 'LDFLAGS= -L/usr/local/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib -ltinfo -fstack-protector''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=scim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark set [4 times]
(21727 62092)
Mark saved where search started
Quit
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
 [2 times]
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
Mark set [3 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/sx.el/sx hides /home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/sx
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/apel/env hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/env
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/apel/timezone hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/timezone
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/emms/lisp/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell hashcash footnote nnir emacsbug sendmail quail debug
edebug misearch multi-isearch eieio-opt help-mode compface gnus-fun mm-archive
qp sort smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnmaildir network-stream nsm starttls bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf
mail-extr nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache epa-file epa epg spam spam-stat bbdb-com warnings bbdb gnus-uu yenc
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mm-url
nnmairix nnml gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo supercite regi gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils server paredit sx-load sx-tab sx-switchto sx-search sx-notify
sx-interaction sx-inbox sx-question-list sx-question-mode sx-question-print
sx-user sx-favorites sx-networks sx-site sx-compose sx-tag markdown-mode
sx-babel sx-button sx-question sx-method sx-filter sx-auth sx-cache sx-request
sx-encoding json sx-time sx let-alist helm-config helm-autoloads
async-bytecomp async helm-aliases bison-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs gtags quack
cmuscheme scheme tango-dark-theme caml tuareg_indent tuareg speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe smie coffee-mode cider tramp-sh cider-mode cider-repl
cider-eldoc cider-interaction cider-doc org-table cider-test cider-stacktrace
cider-client nrepl-client queue cider-util ewoc dash emms-player-mpd tq
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-setup emms emms-compat tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell blog metaweblog xml-rpc timezone
pym static apel-ver product url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util
mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-gw url-vars xml muse-html
muse-xml-common cus-edit cus-start cus-load muse-publish muse-project
muse-protocols info muse-regexps wid-edit muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode
org-agenda org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands
slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime gud apropos compile etags xref
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv eieio-core cl-generic
pcase arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color
ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url slime-autoloads clojure-mode rx derived
edmacro kmacro easymenu imenu scim-bridge mule-util elscreen advice help-fns
dired iswitchb bbdb-autoloads w3m-load erlang-start boxquote cl-macs rect cl
gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib delsel time paren time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 789746 115688)
 (symbols 48 110602 0)
 (miscs 40 1234 2274)
 (strings 32 284138 30822)
 (string-bytes 1 15430510)
 (vectors 16 99528)
 (vector-slots 8 1286063 42005)
 (floats 8 509 1071)
 (intervals 56 8699 446)
 (buffers 976 41))

References:
[1]  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18899

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

“It now costs more to amuse a child than it once did to educate his father.”

Sent from my Emacs