Subject: bug#19874: 25.0.50; encode-time not working as expected

From: [email-masked] (Ashish SHUKLA)
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:10:44 +0530

I'm running FreeBSD 10.1 (amd64). My /etc/localtime points to "Asia/Kolkata"
(Indian Standard Time, UTC+0530) timezone.

For "Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 06:42:44 +0000 (UTC)":

#v+
(encode-time 44 42 6 15 2 2015 0 nil 0)
=> (21727 62092) = 1423962764
#v-

#v+
>>> print gmtime(1423962764)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=1, tm_min=12, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
>>> print localtime(1423962764)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=6, tm_min=42, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
#v-

If it was "Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 06:42:44 +0530":

#v+
(encode-time 44 42 6 15 2 2015 0 nil 19800)
=> (21727 62092)
#v-

The expected output for the time specified in UTC should be:
(21728 16356) = 1423982564

#v+
>>> print gmtime(1423982564)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=6, tm_min=42, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
>>> print localtime(1423982564)
time.struct_time(tm_year=2015, tm_mon=2, tm_mday=15, tm_hour=12, tm_min=12, tm_sec=44, tm_wday=6, tm_yday=46, tm_isdst=0)
#v-

I've come across while trying to figure out cause for a bug[1] report while
ago.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1, GTK+ Version 3.14.7)
 of 2015-02-06 on chateau.d.if
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11407000
Configured using:
 `configure --localstatedir=/var --without-compress-install --with-dbus
 --with-file-notification=gfile --with-gconf --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --with-gsettings --with-jpeg --with-m17n-flt --with-imagemagick --with-libotf
 --with-png --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-x
 --with-xft --with-xim --with-xml2 --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-sound=alsa --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib
 --x-includes=/usr/local/include --prefix=/usr/local --mandir=/usr/local/man
 --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/ --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -g -march=corei7 -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing'
 CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include 'LDFLAGS= -L/usr/local/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib -ltinfo -fstack-protector''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=scim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  paredit-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Mark set [4 times]
(21727 62092)
Mark saved where search started
Quit
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
 [2 times]
Mark saved where search started [3 times]
Mark set [3 times]
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/sx.el/sx hides /home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/sx
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/apel/env hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/env
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/apel/timezone hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/timezone
/home/abbe/.emacs.d/elisp/emms/lisp/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/25.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow flyspell ispell hashcash footnote nnir emacsbug sendmail quail debug
edebug misearch multi-isearch eieio-opt help-mode compface gnus-fun mm-archive
qp sort smiley gnus-cite gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic
utf-7 nndraft nnmh nnmaildir network-stream nsm starttls bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf
mail-extr nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp
gnus-cache epa-file epa epg spam spam-stat bbdb-com warnings bbdb gnus-uu yenc
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mm-url
nnmairix nnml gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo supercite regi gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils server paredit sx-load sx-tab sx-switchto sx-search sx-notify
sx-interaction sx-inbox sx-question-list sx-question-mode sx-question-print
sx-user sx-favorites sx-networks sx-site sx-compose sx-tag markdown-mode
sx-babel sx-button sx-question sx-method sx-filter sx-auth sx-cache sx-request
sx-encoding json sx-time sx let-alist helm-config helm-autoloads
async-bytecomp async helm-aliases bison-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs gtags quack
cmuscheme scheme tango-dark-theme caml tuareg_indent tuareg speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe smie coffee-mode cider tramp-sh cider-mode cider-repl
cider-eldoc cider-interaction cider-doc org-table cider-test cider-stacktrace
cider-client nrepl-client queue cider-util ewoc dash emms-player-mpd tq
emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo emms-info-mp3info emms-info later-do
emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer emms-player-simple
emms-source-playlist emms-source-file emms-setup emms emms-compat tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell blog metaweblog xml-rpc timezone
pym static apel-ver product url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source gnus-util
mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-gw url-vars xml muse-html
muse-xml-common cus-edit cus-start cus-load muse-publish muse-project
muse-protocols info muse-regexps wid-edit muse muse-nested-tags muse-mode
org-agenda org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands
slime-autodoc slime-repl elp slime-parse slime gud apropos compile etags xref
eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv eieio-core cl-generic
pcase arc-mode archive-mode noutline outline easy-mmode pp comint ansi-color
ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url slime-autoloads clojure-mode rx derived
edmacro kmacro easymenu imenu scim-bridge mule-util elscreen advice help-fns
dired iswitchb bbdb-autoloads w3m-load erlang-start boxquote cl-macs rect cl
gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib delsel time paren time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 789746 115688)
 (symbols 48 110602 0)
 (miscs 40 1234 2274)
 (strings 32 284138 30822)
 (string-bytes 1 15430510)
 (vectors 16 99528)
 (vector-slots 8 1286063 42005)
 (floats 8 509 1071)
 (intervals 56 8699 446)
 (buffers 976 41))

References:
[1]  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=18899

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!
-- 
Ashish SHUKLA

“It now costs more to amuse a child than it once did to educate his father.”

Sent from my Emacs