Subject: 24.4; UTF8 characters of unusual width (Gnus markers)

From: Sebastien Vauban <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 10:05:58 +0100

Hello,

Now that I've changed some Gnus markers to UTF8 "drawings" [1], I don't
have my Gnus summary buffer correctly aligned anymore.

See http://screencast.com/t/s33eYYg7Cn.

Is there a solution to that, to guarantee that the alignment can be
correct?

Worse, it seems that the same UTF8 char can have a "correct" width in
some fonts, and not in others... Not speaking that some UTF8 chars exist
in some fonts, and not in others...

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] Here is my setup:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
(setq gnus-unread-mark ?✉)
(setq gnus-del-mark ?✗)
(setq gnus-read-mark ?✓)
(setq gnus-killed-mark ?☠)
(setq gnus-unseen-mark ?✩)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

-- 
Sebastien Vauban