Subject: Re: bug#19865: tar-untar-buffer: should honor default-directory

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 12:47:48 +0000

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 12:27:45 +0000
>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[…]

 >>> "Extract all archive members in the tar-file into the current
 >>> directory."

 >>> which seems to match what it does.  Why isn't default-directory of
 >>> tar-data-buffer the right choice for doing that?

 >> Because the default-directory of the tar-mode buffer may be changed
 >> by the user (with M-x cd or otherwise) with the intent of directing
 >> tar-untar-buffer to extract the archive members into an arbitrary
 >> directory, per its docstring.

 > Sounds like an obscure possibility to me.  If we want to give the
 > user an option to extract to a specific directory, why not make that
 > directory an argument of tar-untar-buffer, and prompt for it when the
 > function is called with a prefix argument?  That's how we usually let
 > the user change such defaults.

	No objection against such a new feature on my part.

	Still, the docstring mentions “current directory”, and it’s
	exactly the thing default-directory references and M-x cd sets.
	Thus the current behavior doesn’t match the documentation, so at
	least one of the two’s in the need for a fix.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  np. El Dorado — Iron Maiden … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A