Subject: bug#19856: Bad month translation printed with date command in Greek locale

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 15:56:25 -0700

On 02/13/2015 01:17 PM, Jilles Tjoelker wrote:

> The functionality already works in FreeBSD, for example:
> 
> $ LC_TIME=el_GR.UTF-8 date +"%d %B %Y"
> 13 Φεβρουαρίου 2015
> $ LC_TIME=el_GR.UTF-8 date +"%OB %Y"
> Φεβρουάριος 2015
> 
> It was implemented for Greek in 2001:
> https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=32120

Thanks for reminding me of that.  Wow, 5 years where glibc has not
picked it up is a bit long; I've added information to what looks like
the most relevant glibc bug
https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=12651 to see if we can
get more eyes on it and hopefully implemented for more than just BSD
systems.  It also looks like the POSIX wording is very specific on which
of the two forms is genitive vs nominative, and that glibc's current
locale is using the wrong form for %B.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org