Subject: bug#19856: Bad month translation printed with date command in Greek locale

From: Jilles Tjoelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 21:17:44 +0100

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 02:20:58PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:56:34 -0700, Eric Blake <[email-masked]> said:

> > Coreutils will automatically pick up any fixes in glibc, you'll need to
> > get it fixed there first.  It would be nice to get POSIX to standardize
> > %OB, but that would be easier if you could first get glibc to implement
> > the solution to show that it makes sense.

> FreeBSD has long implemented %OB, for Russian IIRC.  It's documented
> thus:

>            Additionally %OB implemented to represent alternative months names
>            (used standalone, without day mentioned).

This feature was discussed here before, and an interpretation was issued
for issue 8: http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=258

The functionality already works in FreeBSD, for example:

$ LC_TIME=el_GR.UTF-8 date +"%d %B %Y"
13 Φεβρουαρίου 2015
$ LC_TIME=el_GR.UTF-8 date +"%OB %Y"
Φεβρουάριος 2015

It was implemented for Greek in 2001:
https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=32120

-- 
Jilles Tjoelker