Subject: bug#19853: Acknowledgement (25.0.50; ElDoc is displayed whether eldoc-mode is enabled or not)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 23:15:30 +0200

On 03/20/2016 11:10 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Yes.  I think turning `globalized-eldoc-mode' could change the default
> value of `eldoc-mode', while the local `eldoc-mode' changes the local
> value (as it does now).

That's not how globalized minor modes work.

> But that would lead to another problem: if the user has both modes off,
> then turns on the local mode in some buffer, and after that turns on the
> global mode as well, we have the stuff in both the global and the local
> hook bindings.

Nope: globalized mode should only turn on the local mode in appropriate 
buffers. And it would, in turn, only modify the local parts of the hook 
in each of the buffers.

> Hmm, I think the only way out would be to add the stuff to the global
> hook bindings unconditionally when eldoc is loaded - no matter whether
> the global mode is on or not, and never remove it.  And use only one
> (buffer local) variable for controlling, `eldoc-mode', that the local
> mode sets locally.  The variable `global-eldoc-mode' would not appear in
> the code any more.  `global-eldoc-mode' would become a trivial
> globalized minor mode that would only turn the local value of
> `eldoc-mode' in all buffers.  Would that make sense?

Sounds like a viable alternative, yes.