Subject: bug#19853: Acknowledgement (25.0.50; ElDoc is displayed whether eldoc-mode is enabled or not)

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 20:52:33 +0200

On 03/20/2016 08:34 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> That's not true: turning off a globalized mode turns off the related
>> minor mode in all buffers. So, instant effect as well.
>
> Right, but turning on is different, right?

Different how?

> I mean, conceptually simpler (slightly).  But that's surely a matter of
> taste.

I wouldn't call that kind of duplication simpler.

>>> What exactly is this bug report about (this question, or the
>>> statement in the subject, for which you didn't provide a recipe)?
>>
>> I did provide a recipe, in the bug description.
>
> I thought you mean a lighter, but you mean the effect of eldoc mode:
> echoing in the echo area with "ElDoc is displayed", correct?

In the echo area, but not "ElDoc is displayed" (is there such a message 
anywhere?).

> I see that too in emacs -Q, but global-eldoc-mode is on by default, so
> this is expected.  You get eldoc echoing when either the local mode is
> turned on for this buffer, or the global mode (and the current buffer is
> treated by the global mode).  Don't you see this, or do think this
> behavior is wrong?

I see this, and I think it is wrong:

- The behavior is surprising if you're used to globalized minor modes.
- There's no way to have ElDoc enabled by default, but disable it in 
just certain buffers.