Subject: bug#19853: Acknowledgement (25.0.50; ElDoc is displayed whether eldoc-mode is enabled or not)

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 19:34:22 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 03/20/2016 08:21 PM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>
> > I think it's simpler that way: `global-eldoc-mode' adds its stuff to the
> > global hook bindings.  Thus toggling the global mode has an instant
> > effect on all buffers.  The globalized local eldoc mode would only have
> > an effect in new buffers or after changing the major mode.
>
> That's not true: turning off a globalized mode turns off the related
> minor mode in all buffers. So, instant effect as well.

Right, but turning on is different, right?

> The current implementation, however, is not "simpler": both modes set
> up hooks. For some reasons, they also do that in slightly different
> ways.

I mean, conceptually simpler (slightly).  But that's surely a matter of
taste.

> > What exactly is this bug report about (this question, or the
> > statement in the subject, for which you didn't provide a recipe)?
>
> I did provide a recipe, in the bug description.

I thought you mean a lighter, but you mean the effect of eldoc mode:
echoing in the echo area with "ElDoc is displayed", correct?

I see that too in emacs -Q, but global-eldoc-mode is on by default, so
this is expected.  You get eldoc echoing when either the local mode is
turned on for this buffer, or the global mode (and the current buffer is
treated by the global mode).  Don't you see this, or do think this
behavior is wrong?

Michael.