Subject: Re: 25.0.50; package-install-{file,from-buffer} broken

From: Mark Oteiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 02:10:49 -0400

On 12/02/15 at 08:04pm, Mark Oteiza wrote:
> Nevermind, I think this is invalid--misleading at least.  A better error
> message would be good.
> 
> paredit just does not have a valid Version: header.  Even after fixing
> it, I was also getting a message like "no subdir alist in *temp*", but
> I haven't pinned down the origin of that.

Found it.  It is from using package-install-file on a directory while
saveplace is enabled.  Saveplace gets stuck.  From emacs -Q:

1. mkdir /some/new/dir
2. Evaluate:

  (setq-default save-place t)
  (require 'saveplace)
  (package-initialize)

3. M-x package-install-file RET /some/new/dir RET

  "dired-current-directory: No subdir-alist in  *temp*"

In order to quit emacs, one has to hack around kill-emacs-hook.