Subject: Re: bug#19846: 25.0.50; Problem with auto-fill-mode and C mode

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:21:56 +0100

> I don't see the difference between 24.3 and current master.  On both of
 > them, the behaviour is the same.

You're right.

 > The spaces get inserted normally, up
 > to column 72, then the display freezes.  Some long while later (several
 > minutes), the display catches up again.  This is with point in column
 > ~500.  (Both of my Emacs builds were with optimisation and without
 > debugging info.  Your build was without and with.)

Here the impact is felt immediately, probably because of the way I build
Emacs.  Inserting 72 spaces doesn't make much sense anyway, so this is
not what's bothering me.  But here inserting _any_ character with auto
filling turned on is a pain.  I'm usually typing 2 to 3 characters ahead
of what I see on screen.

I'll now revise the way I build.  If this cures the problem, let's not
bother too much about the column 72 problem.

 > Incidentally, that doc string
 >
 >    If this variable is t, Emacs asks the window manager to give the frame
 >    intermediately its normal size whenever changing from a full-height or
 >    full-width state to the fully maximized one and vice versa.
 >
 > doesn't read well.  The "intermediately" in that position isn't English!
 > Perhaps something like the following would be better:
 >
 > If this variable is t, Emacs first asks the window manager to give the
 > frame its normal size, and only then the final state, whenever changing
 > from a full-height or full-width state to the fully maximized one and vice
 > versa.

If nothing else I at least found a way to get my doc-strings fixed ;-)

Thanks, martin