Subject: bug#19831: 25.0.50; Can't build emacs 25.0.5 with libpng16 support (only libpng15)

From: [email-masked] (Tory S. Anderson)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 12:57:53 -0500

I have libpng16 (and 15) installed with dev files; my libpng.so points to version 16. But emacs 25.0.5 refuses to work with 16. Although the config log is full of references to lpng16, it seems to choose to load with lib15 (and won't build with png support if I don't make v 15 available). This is breaking other programs that expect to be using the latest libpng on the computer.

Emacs will not allow me to build with png support if I do not have `/usr/lib64/libpng15.so', despite existence of libpng.so in the same location. The linked logs are divided into no-png when I do NOT have libpng15.so at that location, and yes-png when I DO have libpng15.so at that location.

Note the following when things work:
$ whereis libpng
libpng: /usr/lib64/libpng15.so /usr/lib64/libpng16.so /usr/lib64/libpng.so /usr/local/lib/libpng16.a /usr/local/lib/libpng.a /usr/local/lib/libpng.la /usr/local/lib/libpng16.so /usr/local/lib/libpng.so /usr/local/lib/libpng16.la /usr/share/man/man3/libpng.3.gz

There is, of course, no libpng15.so there in the fail cases.

Download the four logs in the following archive:
http://toryanderson.com/files/25pngerrors.tar.gz

This is on Fedora 20 64-bit. 

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.4 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2015-02-10 on localhost.localdomain
Repository revision: df1e4ea210c081c969e092628aa999b1a4d59dfd
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
System Description:	Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  helm-occur-match-plugin-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking new news...
Reading active file via nnml...
Reading incoming mail from file...
nnml: Reading incoming mail (no new mail)...done
Reading active file via nnml...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done
Mark set [2 times]
Making gnus-newsgroup-name local to *unsent mail* while let-bound!
Update Org Contacts Database

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/graphviz-dot-mode hides /home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/graphviz-dot-mode-20140303.1301/graphviz-dot-mode
~/.emacs.d/simple hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/simple
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/flymake-0.4.16/flymake hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/progmodes/flymake
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-keys hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-org hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-mscgen hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-org hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-element hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-element
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-docview hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-matlab hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-indent hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-capture hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-archive hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-sass hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-man hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-table hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-table
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-info hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-info
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-lisp hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-ascii hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-odt hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-icalendar hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-attach hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-list hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-list
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-latex hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-plot hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-sqlite hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-mobile hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-emacs-lisp hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-eshell hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-ctags hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-beamer hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-tangle hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-lob hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-io hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-ruby hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-texinfo hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-ledger hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-macro hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-clojure hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-mhe hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-maxima hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-gnus hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-lilypond hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-screen hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-fortran hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-css hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-ditaa hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-exp hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-scala hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-footnote hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-latex hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-ref hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-C hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-timer hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-install hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-install
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-gnuplot hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-src hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-src
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-entities hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-core hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-publish hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-comint hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-bbdb hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-mouse hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-R hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-inlinetask hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-bibtex hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-table hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-pcomplete hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-python hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-feed hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-version hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-version
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-md hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-clock hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-colview hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-awk hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-shen hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-w3m hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-faces hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-makefile hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-datetree hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-js hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-perl hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-sql hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-loaddefs hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-rmail hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-ocaml hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-dot hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-eval hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-asymptote hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-habit hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-compat hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-octave hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-crypt hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-macs hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-scheme hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-sh hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-plantuml hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-haskell hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-java hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox-html hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ox hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ox
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-calc hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/ob-picolisp hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-irc hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-id hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-id
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-protocol hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/torys/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20150209/org-agenda hides /home/torys/workspace/emacs/lisp/org/org-agenda

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail gnus-cite footnote nnir
nndraft nnmh nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
nntp gnus-cache gnus-msg view misearch multi-isearch vc-git diff-mode
manoj-dark-theme ido helm-misc pdf-sync pdf-annot pdf-outline
pdf-links pdf-isearch pdf-misc imenu pdf-occur tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw mode-local cedet pdf-history tramp-cache tramp-sh
helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval warnings flyspell ac-ispell ispell
auto-complete-config auto-complete popup pdf-tools cus-edit pdf-view
pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util shorten-mode epa-file epa epg rfringe
helm-mode helm-files rx ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptive helm-info helm-net browse-url
xml helm-locate helm-help helm-org helm-match-plugin helm-grep
helm-regexp helm-plugin grep helm-external helm-utils helm-config
async-bytecomp async helm-aliases helm helm-source eieio-compat
flymake compile cc-defs vlfi soar-mode hi-lock web-mode disp-table
paren winner tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver shell recentf
tree-widget time mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra seq cconv
eieio-core cl-generic pcase url-vars dired+ image-dired image-file
bookmark+ bookmark+-key advice derived bookmark+-1 bookmark+-bmu
help-mode bookmark+-lit bookmark pp dired-x dired-aux org-clock
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org-contacts
org-capture org-agenda gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime
password-cache dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time
gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message cl-macs dired rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr wid-edit gnus-util
ox-beamer ox-md ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util
ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs cl
gv edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib hl-line elec-pair delsel
cus-start cus-load 4clojure-autoloads ac-cider-autoloads
ac-helm-autoloads ac-html-autoloads ac-ispell-autoloads
ac-python-autoloads anything-exuberant-ctags-autoloads
anything-autoloads auto-complete-autoloads
birds-of-paradise-plus-theme-autoloads bookmark+-autoloads
clojure-cheatsheet-autoloads cider-autoloads clojure-mode-autoloads
color-theme-sanityinc-solarized-autoloads
color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow-autoloads
color-theme-twilight-autoloads csharp-mode-autoloads
csv-mode-autoloads darkmine-theme-autoloads dired+-autoloads
dired-details+-autoloads dired-details-autoloads ebib-autoloads
flymake-autoloads flymake-css-autoloads flymake-jshint-autoloads
flymake-jslint-autoloads flymake-json-autoloads flymake-php-autoloads
flymake-easy-autoloads graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads
helm-bibtex-autoloads f-autoloads async-autoloads m-buffer-autoloads
magit-autoloads git-rebase-mode-autoloads git-commit-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads org-autoloads org-trello-autoloads
dash-autoloads pandoc-mode-autoloads parsebib-autoloads
php-extras-autoloads php-mode-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads
epl-autoloads popup-autoloads processing-mode-autoloads
queue-autoloads request-deferred-autoloads request-autoloads
deferred-autoloads rfringe-autoloads s-autoloads
sea-before-storm-theme-autoloads slime-repl-autoloads info easymenu
slime-autoloads tablist-autoloads zenburn-autoloads package epg-config
server time-date tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face
macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 694949 19193)
 (symbols 48 60703 0)
 (miscs 40 2203 4656)
 (strings 32 145222 19078)
 (string-bytes 1 4621896)
 (vectors 16 52754)
 (vector-slots 8 893495 10272)
 (floats 8 647 592)
 (intervals 56 24476 0)
 (buffers 976 39)
 (heap 1024 76505 3900))