Subject: Re: bug#19822: url-retrieve: allow to fail when no document is associated with the URI

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 17:13:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I understand how removing will end the confusion.  What I don't quite
> understand is how obsoleting will help avoiding the confusion.  I
> think the obsolete messages just add to the confusion, not take away.

I see your point.

> Lars suggested to let this stuff become fallback, which means users
> will see the confusing stuff much less frequently.  That made sense to
> me.

Yes, I agree.

However, I did provide a patch to obsolete the Netscape code, as a
special case.  Please let me know if that patch should be installed or
not -- either way is fine with me.

Once we have a decision on that, I think we should close this
particular bug as wontfix.  Perhaps we should also look over to see if
there are any other bug reports which deserve closing too, since any
efforts are probably better spent improving the with-fetched-url
branch.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas