Subject: bug#19811: closed (Re: bug#19811: Attempt to graft texlive times out after one hour)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 07:27:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19811: Attempt to graft texlive times out after one hour

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19811: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19811
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19811: Attempt to graft texlive times out after one hour
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Cc: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 09:26:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> I was able to do it by passing "--max-silent-time=36000".  It ended up
>>> taking just under 2 hours (real time) to graft texlive on my i686
>>> Libreboot X60 system.
>>
>> With commit 333c376 it may be down to one hour if there are two cores.
>> Still way too much for something like TeX Live, but an improvement.
>
> Is this still an issue?  While grafting the texlive package is still
> rather slow I haven’t seen anything close to one hour recently.

Same here.  Grafting big packages is still rather slow as you write, but
we shouldn’t have anything as big as the old monolithic texlive package
(4 GiB!).

> Can this bug be closed?

I think so.  Done!

Ludo’.

Subject: Attempt to graft texlive times out after one hour
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 20:53:33 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On my i686 Libreboot X60, two consecutive attempts to run "guix package
-u" have failed with the following message:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
grafting '/gnu/store/i8iiv9qd1jndwxxr2h563fwwn0997xkx-cups-2.0.1' -> '/gnu/store/nrdr51fkncjm5nqkx70576g25l4ka5na-cups-2.0.1'...
grafting '/gnu/store/y2f71ym41fp803ysf62k1ajk687xd684-xsensors-0.70' -> '/gnu/store/vhjp122fax73k4vags86q6gqzk5qj232-xsensors-0.70'...
building of `/gnu/store/an8an36igcaasvg72kcjph7ns7ssgy6d-texlive-2014.drv' timed out after 3600 seconds of silence
cannot build derivation `/gnu/store/c2fab7ppy5xqgsglvkdp489n95278izx-profile.drv': 1 dependencies couldn't be built
guix package: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/c2fab7ppy5xqgsglvkdp489n95278izx-profile.drv' failed
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I guess that my machine and rotating disk are too slow to graft texlive
within an hour.

Apart from that, there are a few specific problems:

* It never notified me that it was grafting texlive.  Are those messages
  not printed until after the grafts have completed?

* I later discovered the --timeout option for 'guix build' (also
  supported by 'guix package') but the manual claims that "By default
  there is no timeout".  This seems to be incorrect.

     Mark