Subject: bug#19819: closed (Re: bug#19805: Numpy failures)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 19:41:05 +0000

Your bug report

#19805: Numpy failures

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19805: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19805
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19805: Numpy failures
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Federico Beffa <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 21:40:11 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug is moot now that NumPy uses OpenBLAS instead of ATLAS (commit
dbdfe515), so closing it.

The suggestion about propagating the #:substitutable? flag at
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19805#11> remains valid,
but it’s a separate issue.

Ludo’.

Subject: Re: Numpy failures
From: Federico Beffa <[email-masked]>
To: Andreas Enge <[email-masked]>
Cc: Guix-devel <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:30:16 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:

> python-numpy-bootstrap currently fails its tests on hydra, which entails a
> bunch of other failures. On my own x86_64 machines, the build succeeds,
> however.

We believe the reason being the fact that hydra doesn't handle the flag
'#:substitutable?' properly. As a result we have the following
situation:

1. hydra builds a version of ATLAS optimized for its CPU locally.

2. 'python-numpy-bootstrap' and co., on some architectures, probably get
an incompatible version of ATLAS and therefore fail to pass some tests.

You can check in the build log of 'python-numpy-bootstrap' that ATLAS,
despite the flas, is substituted (no local build on the slave).

At some point we should fix the support for '#:substitutable?' on hydra
(or the upcoming 'guix publish').

Regards,
Fede