Subject: Re: bug#19805: Numpy failures

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 00:07:07 +0100

Federico Beffa <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> python-numpy-bootstrap currently fails its tests on hydra, which entails a
>> bunch of other failures. On my own x86_64 machines, the build succeeds,
>> however.
>
> We believe the reason being the fact that hydra doesn't handle the flag
> '#:substitutable?' properly. As a result we have the following
> situation:
>
> 1. hydra builds a version of ATLAS optimized for its CPU locally.
>
> 2. 'python-numpy-bootstrap' and co., on some architectures, probably get
> an incompatible version of ATLAS and therefore fail to pass some tests.
>
> You can check in the build log of 'python-numpy-bootstrap' that ATLAS,
> despite the flas, is substituted (no local build on the slave).

Oh.  Actually, slaves do not use substitutes at all, but they receive
missing store items from hydra.gnu.org when builds are offloaded.  So I
suppose they receive something built on hydra.gnu.org, which may be
incompatible.

> At some point we should fix the support for '#:substitutable?' on hydra

That probably means that #:substitutable? should be propagated–i.e.,
that anything depending on ATLAS should not be substituted.

Thanks for investigating!

Ludo’.