Subject: bug#19779: closed (Re: bug#19779: dmd: service definition errors cause kernel panic)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 11:03:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19779: dmd: service definition errors cause kernel panic

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19779: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19779
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19779: dmd: service definition errors cause kernel panic
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 12:02:09 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:

> When I first wrote 'wicd-service', I mispelled
> 'make-forkexec-constructor'.  This caused a kernel panic whenever the
> service was included in my OS config.  I don't know whether dmd printed
> a helpful error message, but if so, it was followed immediately by a
> kernel call trace that caused earlier messages to scroll off the screen.
> The result is that it was quite difficult to find the source of the
> error.
>
> In case of such errors, it would be good if dmd would print an error
> message with the most useful information at the bottom (in case it does
> not all fit on the display) and then to avoid exiting so that the
> message could be read and understood.

Commit b9c7ed7 wraps service loading in ‘call-with-error-handling’,
which spawns a REPL when something goes wrong.  Better than a kernel
panic!

Ludo’.

Subject: dmd: service definition errors cause kernel panic
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 02:18:22 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When I first wrote 'wicd-service', I mispelled
'make-forkexec-constructor'.  This caused a kernel panic whenever the
service was included in my OS config.  I don't know whether dmd printed
a helpful error message, but if so, it was followed immediately by a
kernel call trace that caused earlier messages to scroll off the screen.
The result is that it was quite difficult to find the source of the
error.

In case of such errors, it would be good if dmd would print an error
message with the most useful information at the bottom (in case it does
not all fit on the display) and then to avoid exiting so that the
message could be read and understood.

      Mark