Subject: Re: bug#19776: 25.0.50; HTML rendering is very slow

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 19:38:01 +0200

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was talking about showing something in the actual Emacs window, not
> just changing the mouse pointer.  The mouse pointer can change also when
> some program has just crashed, so users won't necessarily take this as a
> sign that "everything is okay, just give us a minute and we'll be back".

And there's no hourglass pointer in terminal Emacs (which apparently is
almost as popular as GUI Emacs for some reason), so perhaps it's worth
having a spinning thing somewhere.  In the mode line, for instance.

However, if we want that, perhaps it shouldn't be tied to
with-delayed-message, but work exactly like the hourglass -- i.e., start
spinning whenever Emacs is busy for a while.

I'm not at all sure whether there'd be any negative repercussions to
spinning a glyph in the mode line area (for instance -- what about if
you're running over a slow ssh connection?), but perhaps it's worth
exploring and see how goes?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no