Subject: Re: bug#19775: Test failing after the CVE fix

From: Vladimír Čunát <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 21:03:16 +0100

On 02/05/2015 05:05 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Ah, you didn't show that part of the 'make' output.  'make check' should
> succeed, and does succeed on my platform (Fedora 21 x86-64). What
> platform are you running on?

It's 64-bit linux (NixOS.org). I did a few more trials, and the real 
problem isn't the CVE fix, but the (1) autoreconfiguration or (2) 
./bootstrap needed when applying that CVE patch or building from git, 
respectively (the patch also changes a Makefile.am).

Side note: now I see it will be probably best for nix(os) packaging to 
avoid either by just using 2.21 tarball and patching only the kwset.c 
file. That approach succeeds completely with:
# TOTAL: 138
# PASS:  119
# SKIP:  19
# XFAIL: 0
# FAIL:  0
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0

I hope the following will help to make the issue clearer.

It's perhaps that some dependencies are different than you expect (or 
missing). In the case of bootstrapping, e.g. maybe you expect a 
different gnulib version -- I didn't know which, so I chose the latest 
tag v0.1, etc. Builds on nix(os) are sandboxed, so only explicitly 
passed packages are visible to the builder, and no networking is 
allowed, etc.

Case (1): 2.21 tarball + patch + autoreconf. I'm sorry I didn't read the 
logs properly, but the tests *do* pass, only a few lines later there is 
what fails:

GEN      check_executable_TESTS
kwset-abuse
the above test scripts are not executable

Case (2): git on 2.21 or master + gnulib v0.1 + ./bootstrap.
There it's getting some segfaults and tells me:

# TOTAL: 86
# PASS:  49
# SKIP:  32
# XFAIL: 1
# FAIL:  4
# XPASS: 0
# ERROR: 0

Logs are attached.

Vladimir