Subject: bug#19772: Verbosity of guix build output

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 22:17:44 +0100

Please keep [email-masked] Cc’d.

Andrei Osipov <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Just to be clear, I suppose you don’t just want something equivalent to:
>>   guix build foo > /dev/null
>> right?
>
> Yes. As I can see the output belongs either to ./configure, make, etc. or to
> guix itself. Only the guix output is desirable, the rest is mosly
> garbage.  

OK.  What exactly do you consider “guix output”?  I’m asking because
from the daemon’s viewpoint, everything is build output basically.

>> So would you like to get rid of all the build output except the “build
>> trace” lines
>
> Yes, but it still might be usefull to take a look at this build output,
> for example, to review configure options or results of make test.
> Might be the build output should be kept in some conventional location
> the way some utilities like perlbrew do that. 

That’s already the case, see ‘guix build --log-file’.

Ludo’.